Registrar FAQs

The recruitment of Registrar positions in New Zealand are managed by the Districts and/or the Australasian Colleges.

For information about applying to the following training positions, visit the Australasian Colleges page.

  • Surgery training positions - Surgical Education and Training (SET)
  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology training positions - Integrated Training Program (ITP)
  • Ophthalmology training positions
  • All Radiology positions

To apply for non-training positions or positions in specialties not listed above, you must apply directly to the District of interest (with the exception of Radiology positions).

We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions to assist you with your District application.

What are the recruitment dates for applying for Registrar and designated SHO positions?

Applications open Monday 31 May 2021
Applications close Monday 28 June 2021
Offers made on Monday 23 August 2021
Acceptances and declines Monday 30 August 2021

How do I apply for a Registrar position with the Districts?

Each individual District has specific application requirements. For further information visit the Apply Now tab.

Am I eligible to apply for a Registrar position?

All applicants must hold valid registration or be eligible for registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ). Check your eligibility ahead of making an application by visiting the MCNZ Self Assessment tool .

Consult the relevant recruiter at the District to find out if you are eligible. Contact information can be found on the Apply Now tab.

What are the dates for the Registrar training year?

The Registrar training year commences on Monday 31 January 2022

I'm an overseas applicant, how do I apply for a Work Visa?

Work visas are issued by the New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) and are usually obtained by applying to the NZ Embassy or Consulate closest to you.

If you have been offered a position and have accepted, you will need to complete an application form for NZIS and your prospective employer will issue you an employer's supplementary form to support your application.